I finally got round to fitting some silicone hoses I ordered a while back.
Rather than spending £350 on a set of Samco hoses, these came from China and cost more like £40. Sure they took 2 weeks to arrive but the quality is excellent, and a very eye catching colour too!
Sadly not enough to get into the Players at Goodwood Show and shine. But I’m pleased with it!
Worked out where this small kinked hose went too! A usual problem area on the VR6 engine.
So I was happily driving the car yesterday, about to pop off on a long journey when suddenly the steering went funny and I had 15 degrees of dead wheel movement!
Fuming I was. This was why I had swapped out the rack (hence all the pictures above) and done all the bushes.
So it turns out after a bit of head scratching that I had missed something important.
The Mk2 steering spline is very different to the mk3 one. So when you attach the mk2 column to the mk3 rack, it feels fine. As soon as you start putting some effort into it, the teeth on the column strip and the only thing letting you steer is the bolt that goes through the clamp. Like so:
Nice and smooth!!
Had to pop out this morning and get a mk3 UJ to fit. All bolted back in and working fine.
Thankfully there is no damage to the mk3 rack spline!
Next time… MOT time! Eeek!